Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hainanese Chicken Chop

It's been a very long while since the last time i came to this shop....

Yik Gei Coffeeshop in Dang Wangi...
I think this shop has been there at least more than 3 decades...
perhaps longer..
It's a hainanese coffee shop which they serve Hainanese western food...
Here's the menu...

Well....
During the British colonisation period...
Most of the hainanese work for the British as cooks...
I'm guessing from what they learn from the guai lou is you just fry a piece of meat & serve with some gravy...
So I wonder if one of them forgot how it suppose to taste like...
or just wanna do a fusion...
so they actually made the gravy china style...
& to me.... what so special about hainanese chicken chop is...
They are to drown the piece of meat with the gravy~
You'll get what I mean later.....

Judging from the shop appearance..
You would be thinking how nice the food would be...
With a 42" plasma TV showing some advertisement...
They actually kept the taste as it is compare to many many years ago....
But I have to warn you....
The following pictures are the actual food served to me...
It.... isn't really that 'good' looking~





Chicken Chop




Pork Chop




See what i mean by drowning the piece of meat?
Ok....
Don't judge the meat by its appearance....
The meat is marinated with the old school sauce... Lea & Perins
But then since they drown it.... It absorbed the gravy & you might not really like the moussy feeling..... & also the wedges... It's kinda cold~
As i think they fried them & left it there.... Cause the food came to me in lss than 10 minutes...


Some how... this is the kind of food where Yap Ah Loi was having with the Guai Lou at that period.... Lets just hope their children would keep the business as this is one of the unique culture where you only can find it in Malaysia...

Anyway... Due to my extreme limited knowledge of history... I could only thought of Yap Ah Loi.. The reason of me not saying Tunku Abdul Rahman is..... let me zoom in to the menu...


Roti Babi~ Why they wanna have a Malay word for it when they're not serving Malays??
Since they know the Pork word... I'm sure they would not write Pig Bun or even Pig bread~
so.... some words is not necessary to write in Malay~
New in the list is~

Senaman Yoga~

Long Live Malaysian Culture~

No comments: